Skip to main content

I got a car!



  This is a Dooling "F" tether car. They were produced by the Dooling Bros company, in around 1946. What are tether cars? Good question! They're model race cars with tiny real engines, that are raced around a circular track, reaching speeds of up to 200mph. It was most popular back in the 1920's to 1950's, and there are still enthusiasts out there today.

The pressed-aluminum front grill. I think this actually serves a purpose, as the engine has to be cooled somehow...

  Last Saturday, my dad and I went up to Astoria to look at a Volkswagen Rabbit that was for sale there. (We did end up buying it.) On the way back, my dad decided to go look at a sailboat he'd seen on Craigslist. It was part of an estate, and since the guy who was there had been working in a barn full of stuff, I asked if I could poke around. I spied this in a box and was intrigued.


 Upon digging it out, I found that it was powered by a tiny little single cylinder engine. Anyways, the guy who was there was willing to let us have it for a small sum, so now I've got another cool antique thingy! Since everything seems to be there, I may try to get it running sometime.

The paint is in poor condition, but that just adds to the nostalgia.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.