Skip to main content

Restoring the first ever Educational Electronic Toy

 A picture of my "Little Professor", after undergoing restoration.

 The "Little Professor", an educational electronic toy released in 1976, was the first of its kind. Encased in happy yellow plastic, with a smiling mustached face, it certainly looks unique. It kind of looks like a cheesy calculator, designed to interest kindergartners in math, but it's actually a little different. It's a "Reverse Calculator"; instead of giving you answers, it asks you the questions!

 I first saw mine in the calculator bin at a local thrift store. It has an LED bubble display, and I'd seen one somewhere before, so I snatched it up. Upon bringing it home, it worked fine, but it was dirty and didn't look so great. So I decided to give it a "restoration" (a good cleaning).

 After completely disassembling everything, I scrubbed the plastic pieces with a water/baking soda paste. It seems to work well to remove scuffs and marks that accumulate with use. I then blew the circuit board free of dust, and wiped dust off the keypad. I even washed the lanyard in water and laundry soap, then rinsed it and let it dry.

 Once everything was dry (I used cotton swabs to help speed up the process), it looked much better, and was ready to reassemble.

 It now looks much cleaner, and seems to be just a slightly happier shade of yellow.  Now that I'm finished cleaned it up, it'll go towards funding future projects of mine- as an eBay Auction.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.