Skip to main content

A plain 9 digit VFD

While digging through a bin of calculators and spell check thingies at a thrift store, I came across what looked like (At first) an old handheld calculator that made use of a VFD (Vacuum Florescent Display). It turns out I was wrong, it's a "Invicta Electronic Mastermind", whatever that means. When I looked it up on the web, it seems like it's an electronic version of Mastermind, the code breaking game. I've never played it, but it looks like it might be fun...

I was mainly interested in it for the VFD, and since it was missing the battery cover and was 25% off to boot, I though maybe I'd get it for cheap. So, since I had time to spare (My mom wasn't ready to leave quite yet), I went and dug through the TV remote bin looking for 2 AA batteries. Once found, I tested the "Mastermind". It didn't work as supposed to, just displayed random characters on the screen. Oh well, I did say I only wanted the VFD...

The VDF showing some 8s. It likes to do that, for some reason...

It's a Futaba 9-ST 10, but looking online, there's no datasheets (of course), so I'm on my own for reverse engineering it. Luckily, it's still on it's circuit board, and it's a pretty simple display, so it won't be hard.

 Just look at that rounded glass envelope!

Who knows what I'll do with it, it's a bit large for a clock, but for now I'll just keep it for someday...

(Edit: This is one thing I got rid of from my pile of "for some project someday" stuff)
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.